CI have always heard about the beautiful Berkshires, but I have never had the opportunity to visit. Even though it was raining off and on, we had a great time. We stayed at Conroy's B&B in Stockbridge which was convenient for visiting lots of area attractions.
We started by driving up to North Adams and visiting Mass MOCA. What a fabulous venue! It is an old factory space with football - size gallery spaces and unique exhibits .
Our next stop was the Crane Museum of Paper in Dalton, MA. They make all the paper used for US currency. It is a secret process so we didn't get to tour the factory, but the retired factory worker explained the process. It was a quick stop, but I loved it!
The day was moving along and we were off to Tanglewood. For me, Tanglewood had a reputation of almost mythical proportions. I had heard about "the shed" and concerts on the lawn, the Boston Pops, and music students . Well, the stories are true! We didn't see The Pops, but we did get in on the student fellows string quartet marathon ! We listened to 9 string quartets that played for a half hour each in gorgeous Seiji Ozawa Hall. Fantastic music in an amazing concert hall. These students were young adults from all over the world who had competed in their area and won a scholarship to study at Tanglewood . So much talent! Each quartet had their own style and flair. One of the pieces was a world premier of a piece that had been commissioned just for this occasion !
The next morning leaving the Berkshires, we were talked into going to the Norman Rockwell Museum. We had originally scheduled this museum for our first stop, but because Cooperstown had been so crowded we had not gotten there in time. I knew a little about his work, but not more than the Saturday Evening Post covers. Was I surprised! This small museum details Rockwell's methods and his whole career. The grounds are spectacular, the outdoor cafe was a good lunch spot, and his original studio is now on the grounds behind the museum and open to the public. I am so glad that we stopped!




No comments:
Post a Comment